Playback issues, codecs, video players &c.

occasional pixelated glitchy playback?

occasional pixelated glitchy playback?

Postby Pococurante » 23 Nov 2011, 21:54

I've been having a slight problem with nearly all of the episodes for some time now, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas about it.

Occasionally while watching an episode, I'll get 3-4 seconds of weird pixelated scrambled video. The audio is never affected. Typically the screen will freeze on the pixelated mush, and after a few seconds it'll go away and it'll go back to normal.

Rarely, the subtitles will clearly appear on top of the glitchiness... or there will be a clear image with glitchiness only around the subtitles. But usually it's the whole screen at once. Sometimes I can go through a few episodes without seeing any... sometimes it'll happen 3+ times in one episode.

Curiously, I can't reproduce this issue at all. If a glitch pops up, I just click the video back 5-10 seconds and let it play again, and it typically will play correctly the second time. I have never had a problem like this playing any other kind of video, ever.

The fact that it's not always there at the same parts of the video, as well as SMC's high competence levels, leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the videos themselves... just my computer. But I have a fairly nice new custom built computer, and it certainly shouldn't have any issues simply playing videos. I use VLC player to play everything. I can only guess there's something about the .mkv format that might be causing this?

Below is a sample image of the problem I'm talking about. I'm going to try to play a few episodes on a different PC and see if it happens there... I suppose it could be anything, like a rare video card driver issue... who knows. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/glitchsm.png/][img]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7576/glitchsm.png[/img][/url]
Pococurante
Moon Kingdom 月の王國

Re: occasional pixelated glitchy playback?

Postby jessex1990 » 24 Nov 2011, 02:53

try using the cccp codec pack with media player classic - this solves 99% of problems
jessex1990
Super Senshi 超戰士

Postby Pococurante » 25 Nov 2011, 01:07

Wow, I really didn't think VLC player would be the problem... for so many years now it's been the perfect player for me, always handing every media type flawlessly, making codec issues a thing of the past.

I installed Media Player Classic and so far I haven't seen this glitch happen at all. Thanks for the help in getting this fixed!
Pococurante
Moon Kingdom 月の王國

Postby KAKERU » 25 Nov 2011, 03:56

[quote="Pococurante"]Wow, I really didn't think VLC player would be the problem... for so many years now it's been the perfect player for me, always handing every media type flawlessly, making codec issues a thing of the past.

I installed Media Player Classic and so far I haven't seen this glitch happen at all. Thanks for the help in getting this fixed!

That's why I never use VLC >_< Either experience the problem right away or after sometime.... hahaha
KAKERU
Galaxy Cauldron 銀河の大釜
Master Of Encoding

Postby Hotaru » 25 Nov 2011, 09:36

i don't get what people see in vlc... it's decoder sucks :lol:
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/14e2v74.png[/img]
Hotaru
Senshi 戰士

Postby jessex1990 » 26 Nov 2011, 12:10

VLC is for people that are lazy or don't know a lot about codecs tbh, cccp is probably the best codec pack out there (k-lite and others have been crap for me and screwed up the computer) the only problem i found with cccp is that it cannot play itunes files (but i have itunes player for that so no biggy). With CoreAVC you are able to watch 1080p on a netbook computer (why you would want to i don't know but the fact it makes it possible shows how little resources HD playback actually requires with a decent media player and codec)
jessex1990
Super Senshi 超戰士

Postby MoonCake » 10 Mar 2012, 05:34

I Have VLC 2.00 And I Have never seen a glitchy burst like this, i don't know alot aout codecs but if you upgrade it works a lot better, and the subtitles look nicer too. (I Did have this problem with the old VLC)
MoonCake
Star seed 星の種
Moonie

Postby KAKERU » 10 Mar 2012, 20:00

[quote="MoonCake"]I Have VLC 2.00 And I Have never seen a glitchy burst like this, i don't know alot aout codecs but if you upgrade it works a lot better, and the subtitles look nicer too. (I Did have this problem with the old VLC)

I believe VLC is in BETA mode and tends to have bugs here and there. I don't think they still have a stable version :(
KAKERU
Galaxy Cauldron 銀河の大釜
Master Of Encoding

Return to General help