Post here with anything that doesn't fall under one of our other categories.

anime similar to Sailor Moon?

anime similar to Sailor Moon?

Postby Pococurante » 25 Nov 2011, 00:42

I know, I know, the "what anime do you recommend" topic has been done to death about a million times on forums all across the internet... but I'm looking for a certain type of anime show, and other times that I've asked this question it doesn't seem that people understand it, or they just list whatever they happen to like.

I think if anyone would understand what I'm asking here, it would be the people on these forums.

I'd like to know if anyone could recommend to me any anime shows that are similar to Sailor Moon... but NOT because it's a magical girl show. NOT because it's about taking out Evil Organizations by killing one Monster Of The Day per episode... NOT because it's about super powers or hidden identities.

The similarity I'm looking for is the fact that the characters seem like real people, ones that you'd genuinely want to get to know and hang out with. People who don't have flat one-dimensional personalities, people who seem relatable and sometimes-flawed and human. The story can be of any anime genre at all... what matters to me is having great characters you want to cheer for, spend time with, and see what happens in their lives. Sailor Moon just did this so incredibly well. Even though SuperS had a really slow-moving often-boring storyline, I loved every minute of it because it still meant getting to watch the characters I love.

Here's a list of the ones I've come across so far that fit this criteria-

1) Kimagure Orange Road - This show really is a masterpiece, on certain days I might even say it's better than Sailor Moon. Absolute must-see if you haven't seen it.

2) Nurse Angel Ririka SOS - Blatant Sailor Moon ripoff, but it did such a good job of ripping it off, plus it had some unique ideas to add in. Having really good characters is what made this show work.

3) Marmalade Boy - A high-school romance series with over a dozen characters... perhaps not always the greatest storytelling in the world, but the characters were all so interesting and likeable I couldn't help wanting to see more and more until I was hooked. I'd recommend at least checking it out.

4) Vision of Escaflowne - Not quite on the same level as the others... Hitomi is a great character, some others were just stereotypes... the unique storyline and excellent writing made this show worth it.

5) Spirited Away - I enjoyed all of Miyazaki's movies, but this one is by far my favorite because Chihiro is such a great and realistic character.

6) Grave of the Fireflies - almost an overdose of reality on this one.

Just thought I'd list a couple that didn't quite work for me-

1) Magic Knight Rayearth - seemed good at first, but the characters became less human and more stereotypical as the show progressed, and the story got "out there" too

2) Kodocha - same thing, Sana seemed interesting at first but then became a cartoon character who is SUPER EXCITED ABOUT EVERYTHING AND CANT STOP YELLING ABOUT IT

If anyone has any recommendations, I would really love to hear about them. I would hate to think there's something as amazing as Kimagure Orange Road or as entertaining as Marmalade Boy out there, and I just haven't found it yet.

BTW while searching for more great shows, I came across what seems like it could be an incredibly useful tool for some people... the ratings section of animenewsnetwork.com. They have a huge list of anime voted on by thousands of people, much like IMDB. But... I hesitate to trust the results of voters who have seen lots and lots of Dragonball and Naruto, and haven't voted Sailor Moon or Kimagure Orange Road anywhere near the top.
Pococurante
Moon Kingdom 月の王國

Re: anime similar to Sailor Moon?

Postby toni_jupiter » 08 Dec 2011, 00:08

Tonde Buurin
~oO Kiss the Rain Oo~
[url]http://youtu.be/so6ExplQlaY[/url]
[img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/toni_jupiter/Mercury2.jpg[/img]
toni_jupiter
Senshi in training 見習中戰士

Postby AwakeningSunshine » 09 Dec 2011, 16:14

Air or Clannad. I recommend both.
♂ + ♀
♂ + ♂
♀ + ♀
Love is love
Peace and love, y'allz
AwakeningSunshine
Senshi 戰士
Fangirl

Postby kingnick » 10 Dec 2011, 01:13

Since Sailor Moon I've watched many Mahou Shoujos but Cardcaptor Sakura and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha were the only ones that came remotely close to Sailor Moon.

More recent mahou shoujo is flooded with fanservice and bizarre plots like Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica that attempt to be surreal but just come off as cheesey. I'm going to watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica again at some point but based on my first viewing of the series I have no idea why it is so highly rated.
kingnick
Star seed 星の種

Postby papermario32 » 11 Dec 2011, 02:35

How about Tokyo Mew Mew?
papermario32
Non-Senshi 非戰士
moon

Postby Neptunie » 09 Jan 2012, 15:44

I'd recommend Kaleido Star. It has the same producer as the Sailor Moon series and it has a interesting plot. The show revolves around a girl whose dream is to join the Kaleido Stage, a Cirque Du Soleil-esque place. The characters definitely make you enjoy watching them and the animation is just stunning with all the different performances.
Neptunie
Star seed 星の種

Postby jessex1990 » 04 Feb 2012, 23:27

Magic Users Club?
jessex1990
Super Senshi 超戰士

Postby Lita_the_lovely » 06 Apr 2014, 19:11

Cardcaptor Sakura is definitely a good one.
Tokyo mew mew can get a little "stereotypical," but there are a few characters that show tremendous growth throughout the series. If you do end up watching it, I recommend watching the original Japanese version; not that the English adaptation isn't enjoyable, but they changed so much of the storyline, that you kind of miss out.
If you liked Spirited Away, then you'll probably like Howl's Moving Castle. The main characters are easy to relate to, and it's a real sweat story.
If you don't mind crying a lot, I'd suggest Wolf's Rain; although story wise it's nothing like Sailor Moon, the characters are brilliant (so is the art).
If you're in to the dark twisted stories, Vampire Knight is really good. The main characters Yuki and Zero are really deep characters (Kaname not so much) who deal with issues of friendship, bitterness, love, family, identity, and destiny. It's not a very long anime (only 26 episodes), but it's not finished yet (considering there are 19 Manga's and the anime only covers the first 5 or so).
If you find anymore good ones, I'd like to hear about them; I'm always looking for some good anime!
Lita_the_lovely
Star seed 星の種
Pretty Soldier

Return to Offtopic